You have a traveling toddler? Wondering what to pack in your carry on to keep said toddler entertained? In my trips with 2 and then 3 toddlers I have found out some things are essential while other are really not.
I try to have everything in a big bag so that it is easier to go through security. Here is a list of tips to make traveling easier.
1. Dress kids in layers. Airplane temperature changes as well as departure vs arrival city, so it’s best to just be ready for any temperature.
2. Instead of carrying a purse plus a diaper bag, try to carry just one weekender or some other big bag that accommodates everything you might need.
3. The first thing in the bag should be diapers and a change of clothes (the change of clothes is a must, maybe even 2 changes, in case you are stuck at the airport for a very long time).
4. Keep all your essentials in the bag, like first aid kit, a hat, toiletries.
5. Snack bag: in the snack bag keep all your snacks dry. Crackers, Cheerios, granola bars, cookies. Whatever their favorite snacks are, those are the ones you have to bring (in my case, because I was traveling alone with 2 toddlers I threw out the window the whole healthy stuff and brought what I know they loved and would work as a negotiating tool-gummy bears, chocolate chip cookies!!!). I never bring liquids since you can get that of your airplane service.
6. For entertaining: Ipad, Iphone, any electronic. Make sure you have full battery and a charger and also make sure you download new apps. If you try to make them use the same apps, they won’t be so excited. Another thing I did and it worked soooo great was go to the Dollar Store and spent like $10 bucks on little toys. So whenever they got antsy during the flight I could give them a new toy. Because they’re only a dollar I wasn’t worried about breaking or loosing it.
7. Bring a small pillow and a blankie. (Especially if your toddler is used to sleeping with one)
8. I know this might be a bit controversial but if you’re not going to have your toddler in a stroller, I suggest having a child harness with a leash. Airports are huge and very crowded, with a toddler, plus bags, plus security you can loose a kid in the blink of an eye.
9. Invest in a CARES harness especially if you plan on traveling a lot with the toddler. It works as a harness for the airplane seat. Of course if it’s feasible always bring a car seat, if you’re investing in an airplane seat. I travel with 3 and it would be impossible to bring 3 car seats all by myself through an airport! But if you have only one kid, car seat is always best.
10. A nice thing to do if you have a rowdy toddler is bring little bags of M&Ms or some other treat like disposable ear plugs for your seat neighbors. They will really appreciate it!
If you have any tips of your own please share!
HAVE FUN & SAFE TRAVELS!